Natale "Ned" Ianno, Milton E. Mohr Professor
Natale "Ned" Ianno
Milton E. Mohr Professor
Electrical & Computer Engineering
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
207N Scott Engineering Center
Lincoln, Nebraska 68588-0511
It is well known that out-gassing of epoxies and other organic components produces effluents that, when exposed to VUV and UV light, deposit onto the satellite. We have established a cryo-pumped chamber that contains 3 effusion cells and several QCM's that can be used to measure impingement and deposition rate. The substrate and QCM's can be illuminated during exposure to the effluent gas emanating from the effusion cells by VUV (110nm) through UV (400nm). The entire process is monitored via an in-situ ellipsometer, providing real time deposition rates and optical constants of the resulting contaminant layer.
A second area of research is hollow cathode deposition of thin films. This technique has been developed at UNL and results in rapid deposition rates of metastable materials, such as GeC. This technique will also be applied to BSTO, thin ferroelectric materials with direct application in phased array antennas.
- R.J. Soukup, P. Prabukanthan, N.J. Ianno, A. Sarkatr, C. Kamler, and D.G. Sekora, “Formation of Pyrite Thin films (FeS2) by themal sulfurization of d.c. magnetron sputtered Iron”, J.Vac. Sci. Technol. A 29, 011001 (2011).
- J. Olejníček , L. E. Flannery , S.A. Darveau , C.L. Exstrom , Š. Kment , N.J. Ianno , R.J. Soukup , “CuIn1-xAlxSe2 films prepared by sulfurization of Metallic Precursors” Journal of Alloys and Compounds Volume 509, Issue 41, 13 October 2011, Pages 10020–10024.
- J. Olejníček, C.A. Kamler, S.A. Darveau, C.L. Exstrom, L.E. Slaymaker, A.R. Vandeventer, N.J. Ianno and R.J. Soukup, Formation of CuIn1−xAlxSe2 thin films studied by Raman scattering, Thin Solid Films 519 (2011) 5329–5334.
- K. B. Rodenhausen, T. Kasputis, A. K. Pannier, J. Y. Gerasimov, R. Y. Lai, M. Solinsky, T. E. Tiwald, H. Wang, A. Sarkar, T. Hofmann, N. Ianno, and M. Schubert, “Combined optical and acoustical method for determination of thickness and porosity of transparent organic layers below the ultra-thin film limit”, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 82, 103111 (2011).
- K.B. Rodenhausen, M. Guericke, A. Sarkar, T. Hofmann, N. Ianno, M.Schubert, T.E. Tiwald, M. Solinsky, M. Wagner, “Micelle-assisted bilayer formation of cetyltrimethylammonium bromide thin films studied with combinatorial spectroscopic ellipsometry and quartz crystal microbalance techniques”, Thin Solid Films, Feb2011, Vol. 519 Issue 9, p2821-2824.
- Kaigui Zhu; Wu Wang; Qingyi Shao; Dongning Zhao; Yongfeng Lu; N. Ianno, “Self-assembled ordered arrays of nanoscale germanium Esaki tunnel diodes”, Applied Physics Letters, 4/25/2011, Vol. 98 Issue 17, p173110.
- James Huguenin-Love, Rodney J. Soukup, Natale J. Ianno, Noel T. Lauer, “Growth and characterization of silicon carbide thin films on silicon using a hollow cathode pulse sputtering technique Original Research Article”, Thin Solid Films, Volume 520, Issue 7, 31 January 2012, Pages 2395-2408.
- Wei Xiong , Yun Shen Zhou , Li Jia Jiang , Amitabha Sarkar , Masoud Mahjouri-Samani, Zhi Qiang Xie , Yang Gao , Natale Joseph Ianno , Lan Jiang , and Yong Feng Lu, “Single-Step Formation of Graphene on Dielectric Surfaces”, Adv. Mats. 25, 630 (2013).
- T. Islam- Intel -San Jose, CA.
- Y. Bulur- IBM- Rochester, MN.
- A. Basu- PhD Candidate UCSB.
- D. Zhao- Research Associate Ga. Tech.