Jeff Shield, Professor & Chair
Professor & Chair
Mechanical & Materials Engineering
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
W339 Nebraska Hall
Lincoln, Nebraska 68588-0526
The primary objective of Dr. Shield’s research program is to understand and control the microstructural evolution of materials during processing. Rapid solidification processing is of particular interest, as are nanostructured functional materials. Recent work is directed in the general area of high energy permanent magnets and studying the interfacial effects in exchange spring and exchange bias systems. Characterization specialties include electron microscopy and x-ray scattering techniques.
- Bin Yang, Zhengguo Xiao, Yongbo Yuan, Tanjore V. Jayaraman, Jeffrey E. Shield, Ralph Skomski and Jinsong Huang, “Room-temperature organic ferromagnetism in the crystalline poly(3-hexylthiophene): Phenyl-C61-butyric acid methyl ester blend film,” Polymer 54, 490-494 (2013).
- X. Jiang and J.E. Shield, “Combined effects of chromium and carbon on phase formation and magnetic behavior of melt-spun Sm–Co magnets,” Journ. Magn. Magn. Mater. 333, 63-68 (2013).
- W. Zhang, S.R. Valloppilly, X.Z. Li, R. Skomski, J.E. Shield and D.J. Sellmyer, “Coercivity Enhancement in Zr2Co11-Based Nanocrystalline Materials Due to Mo Addition,” IEEE Trans. Magn. 48, 3603-3605 (2012).
- P. Mukherjee, Y. Zhang, M.J. Kramer, L.H. Lewis and J.E. Shield, “L10 Structure Formation in Slow-cooled Fe-Au Nanoclusters,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 222405 (2012).
- R. Skomski, B. Balamurugan, T.A. George, M. Chipara, X. Wei, J.E. Shield and D.J. Sellmyer, “Hysteresis and Relaxation in Granular Permanent Magnets,” J. Appl. Phys. 111, 07B507 (2012).
- F. Golkar, M.J. Kramer, Y. Zhang, R.W. McCallum, R. Skomski, D.J. Sellmyer and J.E. Shield, “Structure and Magnetic Properties of Co-W Clusters Produced by Inert Gas Condensation,” J. Appl. Phys. 111, 07B524 (2012).
- E. Folcke, R. Lardé, J.M. Le Breton, M. Gruber, F. Vurpillot, J.E. Shield, X. Rui, M.M. Patterson, “Laser-assisted atom probe tomography investigation of magnetic FePt nanoclusters: First experiments,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds 517, 40-44 (2012).
- T. Jayaraman and J.E. Shield, “Directional Annealing Studies on Rapidly Solidified Sm-Co-Nb-C Alloys,” Acta Materialia 60, 1184-1192 (2012).
- R. Zhou, X. Wei, K. He, J.E. Shield, D.J. Sellmyer and X.C. Zeng, “Theoretical and Experimental Characterization of Structures of MnAu Nanoclusters in the Size Range of 1-3 nm,” ACS Nano 5, 9966 (2011).
- R. Skomski, J. E. Shield and D. J. Sellmyer, "An Elemental Question," Magnetics Technology International, UKIP Media & Events, Ltd., p. 26-29 (2011).
- A. Kashyap, P. Manchanda, P. K. Sahota, R. Skomski, J. E. Shield, D. J. Sellmyer, "Anisotropy of W in Fe and Co", IEEE Trans. Magn. 47 (10) 3336-3339 (2011).
- B. Balasubramanian, R. Skomski, X. Li, S. Valloppilly, J.E. Shield, G.C. Hadjipanayis, D.J. Sellmyer, “Cluster Synthesis and Direct Ordering of Rare-Earth Transition-Metal Nanomagnets,” Nano Letters 11, 1747-1752 (2011).
- T.V. Jayaraman, M. Koten and J.E. Shield, “Near room temperature magnetocaloric properties of melt-spun Gd100-xBx (x = 0, 5, 10, 15, & 20 at. %) alloys,” J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 323, 2037 (2011).
- A. Kashyap, R. Skomski, P. Manchanda, J.E. Shield and D.J. Sellmyer, “Layered transition-metal permanent-magnet structures,” J.Appl. Phys. 109, 07A714 (2011).