Alexei Gruverman, Charles Bessey Professor
Charles Bessey Professor
Physics & Astronomy
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
081 Jorgensen Hall
Lincoln, Nebraska 68588-0299
Gruverman's group in collaboration with Prof E. Tsymbal (UNL) and researchers from University of Wisconsin-Madison used advanced scanning probe techniques and ultrathin epitaxial ferroelectric BaTiO3 films grown on SrRuO3 electrodes to demonstrate correlation between ferroelectric polarization orientation (left image) and the tunneling current flowing from a conductive-AFM tip through the BaTiO3 barrier layer (right image). These results support theoretical predictions made earlier by MRSEC researchers and open the way to employ ferroelectric tunnel junctions in novel nano-electronic devices and advanced data storage applications.
- "Scanning Probe Microscopy of Electrical and Electromechanical Phenomena at the Nanoscale", edited by S.V.Kalinin and A.Gruverman (Springer, 2006).
- "Ferroelectrics at Nanoscale: Scanning Probe Microscopy Approach", edited by M.Alexe and A.Gruverman (Springer, 2004).
Book chapters and review papers:
- D.A.Bonnell, S.V.Kalinin, A.Kholkin, and A.Gruverman, "Piezoresponse Force Microscopy: a window into electromechanical behavior at the nanoscale", review article in MRS Bulletin, September, 2009.
- A.Gruverman and A.Kholkin, "Nanoscale Ferroelectrics: Processing, Characterization and Future Trends", Rep. Prog. Phys. 69, 2443-2474 (2006).
- A.Gruverman, "Ferroelectric Nanodomains", in Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, edited by H. S. Nalwa (American Scientific Publishers, Los Angeles, 2004), Vol. 3, pp.359-375.
- A.Gruverman, O.Auciello and H.Tokumoto, "Imaging and Control of Domain Structures in Ferroelectric Thin Films via Scanning Force Microscopy", Ann. Rev. of Mat. Science 28, 101-124 (1998) - (over 220 citations).
- A.Gruverman, D.Wu, and J.F.Scott, "Piezoresponse Force Microscopy Studies of Switching Behavior of Ferroelectric Capacitors on a 100-ns Timescale", Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 097601-604 (2008).
- A.Gruverman, O.Auciello and H.Tokumoto, "Nanoscale Investigation of Fatigue Effects in Pb(Zr,Ti)O3 Films", Appl. Phys. Lett. 69, 3191-3193 (1996).
- Ducharme, S; Gruverman, A, "Ferroelectrics Start the presses", Nature Materials, 8 (1): 9-10 Jan 2009.
- Gruverman, A; Cross, JS; Oates, WS, "Peculiar effect of mechanical stress on polarization stability in micrometer-scale ferroelectric capacitors", Applied Physics Letters, 93 (24): Art. No. 242902 Dec 15 2008.
- Scott, JF; Gruverman, A; Wu, D; Vrejoiu, I; Alexe, M, "Nanodomain faceting in ferroelectrics", Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter, 20 (42): Art. No. 425222 Oct 22 2008.
- Gruverman, A; Wu, D; Fan, HJ; Vrejoiu, I; Alexe, M; Harrison, RJ; Scott, JF, "Vortex ferroelectric domains", Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter, 20 (34): Art. No. 342201 Aug 27 2008.