Wai Ning Mei, Milo Bail Professor
Wai Ning Mei
Milo Bail Professor
UNO Physics Department
University of Nebraska–Omaha
60th & Dodge
Omaha, Nebraska 68182-0266
Dr. Wai-Ning Mei’s research areas include: molecular dynamics studies of alkali halides and molecular solids, total energy electronic calculation of the ferroelectric polymers and highly correlated systems, electron structures of the nano-structures, surface structure determination, multiple-scattering analysis of the low-energy and photoemission spectra, neutron scattering from flux lattice in the type-II superconductors, lattice dynamics of long chain polymers, rotation and vibration spectra of the adsorbed molecules, and application of variational methods to the anharmonic, weakly bounded, tightly bounded, and double-well potentials. Specific computation techniques include lattice dynamics, molecular dynamics, multiple-scattering method, first-principle full-potential linear-augment-plane-wave (FLAPW) method, and self-consistent atomic deformation (SCAD) method together with the SMODES symmetry-analysis software packages.
- Chris M. Marin, Lu Wang, Joseph R. Brewer, Wai-Ning Mei, Chin Li Cheung, "Crystalline a-Sm2S3 nanowires: Structure and optical properties of an unusual intrinsically degenerate semiconductor", J. Alloy. Compd. (2013) accepted.
- Jing Lu, Jiaxin Zheng, Lu Wang, Qihang Liu, Hong Li, Ruge Quhe, Dapeng Yu, Wai-Ning Mei, Junjie Shi, and Zhengxiang Gao, "Sub-10 nm Gate Length Graphene Transistors: Operating at Terahertz Frequencies with Current Saturation", Sci. Rep. (2013) accepted.
- Lu Wang, Wai-Ning Mei, Peter A. Dowben, "The surface states of lithium tetraborate", J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 25, 045014 (2013).
- Nabil Al-Aqtash, Hong Li, Lu Wang, Wai-Ning Mei, Renat F. Sabirianov, "Electromechanical switching in graphene nanoribbons", Carbon 51, 102 (2013).
- Zane C. Gernhart, Robert M. Jacobberger, Lu Wang, Joseph R. Brewer, Mushtaq A. Dar, David R. Diercks, Wai Ning Mei, Chin Li Cheung, "Existence of Erbium Hexaboride Nanowires", J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 95, 3992 (2012).
- Hong Li, Nabil Al-Aqtash, Lu Wang, Rui Qin, Qihang Liu, Jiaxin Zheng, Wai-Ning Mei, Renat F. Sabirianov, Zhengxiang Gao, Jing Lu, "Electromechanical switch in metallic graphene nanoribbons via twisting", Physica E 44, 2021 (2012).
- Lu Wang, Wai-Ning Mei, S. R. McHale, J. W. McClory, J. C. Petrosky, J. Wu, R. Palai,Y. B. Losovyj, P. A. Dowben, "Rare earth 4f hybridization with the GaN valence band", Semicond. Sci. Technol. 27, 115017 (2012).
- Hong Li, Lu Wang, Qihang Liu, Jiaxin Zheng, Wai-Ning Mei, Zhengxiang Gao, Jun-Jie Shi, Jing Lu, "High performance silicene nanoribbon field effect transistors with current saturation", Eur. Phys. J. B 85, 274 (2012).
- Mao Yang, Jun-Jie Shi, Wei-Ning Mei, Lu Wang, Min Zhang, "Electronic Structures of InGaN2 Nanotubes", Chinese Phys. Lett. 29, 107301 (2012).
- Wen-Xiang Yuan, S.K. Harka, H.Y. Xua, W.N. Mei, "Investigation on the growth of CaCu3Ti4O12 thin film and the origins of its dielectric relaxations", Solid State Sci. 14, 35 (2012).
- Ruge Quhe, Jiaxin Zheng, Guangfu Luo, Qihang Liu, Rui Qin, Jing Zhou, Dapeng Yu, Shigeru Nagase, Wai-Ning Mei, Zhengxiang Gao, Jing Lu, "Tunable and sizable band gap of single-layer graphene sandwiched between hexagonal boron nitride", NPG Asia Mater. 4, e6 (2012).
- Provided mentored undergraduate research training opportunities for undergraduates at the University of Nebraska–Omaha with publications in the Journal of Undergraduate Research in Physics.
- Provide mentored graduate research training opportunities for visiting graduate students from the Peking University, China (Students are supported by the Chinese Education Ministry). (Students are supported by the Chinese Education Ministry, 2007 to present with publications in the referred journals, such as Small, Nano Letters, and J. of Chem. Phys, etc.)
- Papers in Refereed Archival Journals: 132
- Invited Conference Presentations: 15
- Conference Proceeding Papers: 105
- Invited Colloquia and Seminars: 28
Graduates and Current Affiliations
X.C. Zeng (University of Nebraska–Lincoln); C.L. Cheung (University of Nebraska–Lincoln);
P.A. Dowben (University of Nebraska–Lincoln); F. Namavar (University of Nebraska Medical Center); R.W. Smith (University of Nebraska at Omaha); R.F. Sabirianov (University of Nebraska at Omaha); L.L. Boyer, Naval Research Laboratory); M.A. Van Hove (City University of Hong Kong).
E.W. Prohofsky (Purdue University); D.E. Ramaker (Naval Research Laboratory);
S.Y. Tong (City University of Hong Kong); Y.C. Lee (State University of New York at Buffalo)
Graduate and Postdoctoral Advisors
Postdoctoral Advisor: E.W. Prohofsky (Purdue University); D.E. Ramaker (Naval Research Laboratory)
S.Y. Tong (City University of Hong Kong)
Ph.D. Thesis Advisor: Y.C. Lee (State University of New York at Buffalo)
Thesis Research Advisor and Postgraduate-Scholar Sponsor:
Undergraduate Students: J. Koch, C. Schuck, B. Wacker, E.R. Hedgahl, T.L. Johnson III, S.E. Schnell, A. R. Ward, Benjamin Floyd, Amanda Ludes, Allan Ostle, Oren Varkony, and Chia Moua
Graduate Students: Chiapin Sun, Guangfu Luo, Jing Zhou, and Hong Li
Previous Postdocs: Chungang Duan, Jianjun Liu, Weiguo Yin, Guangping Li, Jing Lu, Alexander Rubenstein, Lu Wang, Nabil Al-Aqtash, and Florin Apostol.