- BS in EE, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, GR, 2006
- MS in EE, The University of Manchester, UK, 2007
- Ph.D in EE, Queen Mary, University of London, UK, 2011
- Postdoc in EE, University of Texas at Austin, USA, 2013
- Postdoc in EE, Duke University, USA, 2014
Computational electomagnectics, Metasurfaces, Graphene and other 2D materials, Linear and nonlinear plasmonics and nanophotonics, Metamaterials and their applications, Photonics, Active, tunable, and reconfigurable metadevices, Antenna design, Transformation optics, Acoustic/thermal metamaterials, Microwave/mm-wave/THz engineering, All-dielectric metamaterials, New optical interconnects, Thermal emission from plasmonic structures, Novel energy harvesting devices
- G. M. Akselrod, C. Argyropoulos, T. B. Hoang, C. Ciracì, C. Fang, J. Huang, D. R. Smith, M. H. Mikkelsen, “Giant spontaneous emission rate enhancement in directional and efficient plasmonic nanoantennas”, Nature Photonics, vol. 8, pp. 835–840, 2014.
- C. Argyropoulos, C. Ciracì, and D. R. Smith, “Enhanced optical bistability with film-coupled plasmonic nanocubes”, Applied Physics Letters, vol. 104, pp. 063108, 2014.
- C. Argyropoulos, P.-Y. Chen, G. D’Aguanno, and A. Alù, “Temporal Soliton Excitation in an ε-Near-Zero Plasmonic Metamaterial”, Optics Letters, vol. 39, pp. 5566-5569, 2014.
- J. Lee, M. Tymchenko, C. Argyropoulos, P.-Y. Chen, F. Lu, F. Demmerle, G. Boehm, M.-C. Amann, A. Alù, and M. A. Belkin, “Giant nonlinear response from plasmonic metasurfaces coupled to intersubband polaritons”, Nature, vol. 511, pp. 65–69, 2014.
- C. Argyropoulos, G. D’Aguanno, and A. Alù, “Giant second harmonic generation efficiency and ideal phase matching with a double ε-near-zero cross-slit metamaterial”, Physical Review B, vol. 89, pp. 235401, 2014.
- C. Argyropoulos, P.-Y. Chen, F. Monticone, G. D’Aguanno, and A. Alù, “Nonlinear plasmonic cloaks to realize giant all-optical scattering switching”, Physical Review Letters, vol. 108, pp. 263905, 2012.
- C. Argyropoulos, N. M. Estakhri, F. Monticone, and A. Alù, “Negative refraction, gain and nonlinear effects in hyperbolic metamaterials”, Optics Express, Focus Issue on Hyperbolic Metamaterials: Fundamentals and Applications, vol. 21, No. 12, pp. 15037-15047, 2013.
- P.-Y. Chen, C. Argyropoulos, and A. Alù, “THz and Infrared Antenna Phase Shifters Using Integrally-Gated Graphene Transmission-Lines”, IEEE Trans. On Antennas and Propagation, vol. 61, No. 4, pp. 1528-1537, 2013.
- C. Argyropoulos, P.-Y. Chen, G. D’Aguanno, N. Engheta, and A. Alù, “Boosting Optical Nonlinearities in ε-Near-Zero Plasmonic Channels”, Physical Review B, vol. 85, pp. 045129, 2012.
- C. Argyropoulos, E. Kallos, and Y. Hao, “FDTD analysis of the optical black hole,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B., vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 2020-2025, 2010.
- C. Argyropoulos, Y. Zhao and Y. Hao, “A Radially-Dependent Dispersive Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method for the Evaluation of Electromagnetic Cloaks,” IEEE Trans. On Antennas and Propagation, vol. 57, No. 5, pp. 1432-1441, 2009.
Synergistic Activities, Honors, and Awards
- Organizer of special session in META 15, the 6th International Conference on Metamaterials, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics, New York, NY, USA, Aug 2015. The title of the special session is: "Nonlinear and Reconfigurable Plasmonics and Metamaterials".
- Member of the steering committee and co-chair of the student paper competition in IEEE AP-S/URSI 2016, Puerto Rico.
- Guest editor at the Special Issue of the Metamaterials’ Congress (Oxford 2015) published on EPJ Applied Metamaterials.
- Invited to chair session titled "Plasmonics and Metamaterials" at the American Physical Society March Meeting, March 2014, Denver, CO, USA.
- Invited talk at the 31st International Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics (ACES 2015) at Williamsburg, VA, March 22-26, 2015.
- Junior Researcher Award of the 2013 Raj Mittra Travel Grant to attend IEEE APS 2013.
- International Travel Grant by the Royal Academy of Engineering to attend IEEE APS 2010.
- My paper titled: “FDTD analysis of the optical black hole,” has been selected for Spotlight on Optics by Optical Society of America (Sep 2010).
- Received twice (2008, 2009) the Marie Curie Actions Grant by the European School of Antennas to attend courses at European Universities.
Graduate Advisors and Postdoctoral Sponsors
- Yang Hao, Queen Mary, University of London, UK (graduate advisor)
- Andrea Alù, University of Texas at Austin, USA (postdoctoral sponsor)
- David Smith, Duke University, USA (postdoctoral sponsor)