Charles Bessey Professor of Physics
N201A Voelte-Keegan Nanoscience Research Center
Director, Nebraska Center for Materials and Nanoscience
Director, Nebraska Nanoscale Facility
Scientific Director Nebraska EPSCoR RII Track-1: Emergent Quantum Materials and Technologies
Physics and Astronomy
Lincoln, NE 68588
- Ph.D., Physics, Gerhard-Mercator-Universität Duisburg, 1995
- Diplom-Physiker, Gerhard-Mercator-Universität Duisburg, 1990
- Electrically controlled exchange bias
- Experimental approach to fundamental aspects of statistical physics
- Magnetic nanoparticles
- Magnetic nanostructures for energy-efficient cooling
Honors and Awards
- 2014, NCMN Ambassador Award for exceptional contributions and service to the NCMN education and outreach program
- 2013, IKERBASQUE fellow of the Basque Foundation for Science
- 2009, NCMN Certificate of appreciation Education and Outreach
- 2007, Sigma Xi Outstanding young scientist award
- 2006, NSF Career award: Education and research on nanoscale spintronic systems and heterostructures
- 1996, Annual award of the Duisburger Universitätsgesellschaft for an outstanding Ph.D thesis
- Sean Knight, Dharmalingam Prabhakaran, Christian Binek, and Mathias Schubert, "Electromagnon excitation in cupric oxide measured by Fabry-Pérot enhanced terahertz Mueller matrix ellipsometry" Scientific Reports 9, 1353 (2019).
- C.-P. Kwan, M. Street, A. Mahmood, W. Echtenkamp, M. Randle, K. He, J. Nathawat, N. Arabchigavkani, B. Barut, S. Yin, R. Dixit, U. Singisetti, C. Binek, and J. P. Bird, "Space-charge limited conduction in epitaxial chromia films grown on elemental and oxide-based metallic substrates" AIP Advances 9, 055018 (2019).
- Jun-Lei Wang, Will Echtenkamp, Ather Mahmood, and Christian Binek, "Voltage controlled magnetism in Cr2O3 based all-thin-film systems" J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 486, 165262 (2019).
- A. Mahmood, M. Street, W. Echtenkamp, C.P. Kwan, J. P. Bird, and Ch. Binek, "Dielectric properties of thin Cr2O3 films grown on elemental and oxide metallic substrates" Phys. Rev. Mater. 2 (4), 044401 (2018).
- C. Sun, Z. Song, A. Rath, M. Street, W. Echtenkamp, J. Feng, Ch. Binek, D. Morgan, and P. Voyles, "Local Dielectric Breakdown Path along c-Axis Planar Boundaries in Cr2O3 Thin Films" Adv. Mater. Interfaces 4 (20), 1700172 (2017).
- Christian Binek, "Elastic properties of superconductors and materials with weakly correlated spins" Scientific Reports 7, 4906 (2017).
- Will Echtenkamp, Mike Street, Ather Mahmood, and Christian Binek, "Tuning the Effective Anisotropy in a Voltage-Susceptible Exchange-Bias Heterosystem" Phys. Rev. Applied 7, 034015 (2017).
- Shi Cao, M. Street, Junlei Wang, Jian Wang, Xiaozhe Zhang, Ch. Binek and P. A. Dowben, "Magnetization at the interface of Cr2O3 and paramagnets with large stoner susceptibility" J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 29, 10LT01 (2017).
- Uday Singh, W. Echtenkamp, M. Street, Ch. Binek, and S. Adenwalla, "Local Writing of Exchange Biased Domains in a Hetero-structure of Co/Pd Pinned by Magnetoelectric Chromia" Adv. Funct. Mater. 26, 7470–7478 (2016).
- Junlei Wang and Christian Binek, "Dispersion of Electric-Field-Induced Faraday Effect in Magnetoelectric Cr2O3" Phys. Rev. Applied 5, 031001 (2016).
- S. Cao, X. Zhang, T. Komesu, G. Chen, A. K. Schmid, L. Yue, I. Tanabe, W. Echtenkamp, Y. Wang, Ch. Binek, and P. A. Dowben, "Low temperature growth of cobalt on Cr2O3(0001)" J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 28, 046002 (2016).
- Zhengyang Zhao, Will Echtenkamp, Mike Street, Ch. Binek, and J.-P. Wang, "Magnetoelectric Device Feasibility Demonstration - Voltage Control of Exchange Bias in Perpendicular Cr2O3 Hall Bar Device" IEEE Proc. 74th Annual Device Research Conference (2016). DOI: 10.1109/DRC.2016.7548495
- Shi Cao, Ning Wu, Will Echtenkamp, Valeria Lauter, Haile Ambaye, Takashi Komesu, Christian Binek and Peter A Dowben, "The surface stability of Cr2O3(0001)" J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 27 255003 (2015).
- Lorenzo Fallarino, Christian Binek, and Andreas Berger, "Boundary magnetization properties of epitaxial Cr2-xAlxO3 thin films" Phys. Rev. B 91, 214403 (2015).
- Lorenzo Fallarino, Andreas Berger, and Christian Binek, "Magnetic field induced switching of the antiferromagnetic order parameter in thin films of magnetoelectric chromia" Phys. Rev. B 91, 054414 (2015).