Martin Centurion, Associate Professor
Susan J. Rosowski Associate Professor
Physics and Astronomy
079 Jorgensen Hall
855 N 16th St.
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68588-0299
- BS in Physics, University of Michigan, 2006
- PhD in Physics, California Institute of Technology, 2005
- Postdoctoral, California Institute of Technology, 2005-2009
- Postdoctoral, Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics, 2006-2009
- Molecular Imaging
- Ultrafast Molecular Dynamics
- Ultrafast Electron Diffraction
- Omid Zandi, Kyle J. Wilkin, and Martin Centurion
"Implementation and modeling of a femtosecond laser-activated streak camera" [PDF]
Review of Scientific Instruments 88, 063305 (2017).
- Omid Zandi, Kyle J. Wilkin, Yanwei Xiong, and Martin Centurion
"High current table-top setup for femtosecond gas electron diffraction" [PDF]
Structural Dynamics 4, 044022 (2017).
- Jie Yang, Markus Guehr, Xiaozhe Shen, Renkai Li, Theodore Vecchione, R. N. Coffee, Jeff Corbett, Alan Fry, Nick Hartmann, Carsten Hast, Kareem Hegazy, Keith Jobe, Igor Makasyuk, Joseph Robinson, Matthew S. Robinson, Sharon Vetter, Stephen Weathersby, Charles Yoneda, Xijie Wang, and Martin Centurion
"Diffractive Imaging of Coherent Nuclear Motion in Isolated Molecules"
Physical Review Letters, 117, 153002 (2016)
Featured as an Editor's Suggestion and as an APS Physics Viewpoint: Showtime for Molecular Movies.
These results were also featured in a UNL press release "Heart of the matter: Physicists record movement of atomic nuclei"
and a SLAC press release "SLAC’s High-speed ‘Electron Camera’ Films Atomic Nuclei in Vibrating Molecules."
- Jie Yang, Markus Guehr, Theodore Vecchione, Matthew S. Robinson, Renkai Li, Nick Hartmann, Xiaozhe, Shen, Ryan Coffee, Jeff Corbett, Alan Fry, Kelly Gaffney, Tais Gorkhover, Carsten Hast, Keith Jobe, Igor Makasyuk, Alexander Reid, Joseph Robinson, Sharon Vetter, Fenglin Wang, Stephen Weathersby, Charles Yoneda, Xijie Wang, and Martin Centurion
"Femtosecond gas phase electron diffraction with MeV electrons"
Faraday Discussions 2016, Advance Article; DOI: 10.1039/c6fd00071a
- Jie Yang, Markus Guehr, Theodore Vecchione, Matthew S. Robinson, Renkai Li, Nick Hartmann, Xiaozhe Shen, Ryan Coffee, Jeff Corbett, Alan Fry, Kelly Gaffney, Tais Gorkhover, Carsten Hast, Keith Jobe, Igor Makasyuk, Alexander Reid, Joseph Robinson, Sharon Vetter, Fenglin Wang, Stephen Weathersby, Charles Yoneda, Martin Centurion and Xijie Wang
"Diffractive imaging of a rotational wavepacket in nitrogen molecules with femtosecond megaelectronvolt electron pulses"
Nature Communications 7, 11232 (2016).
Featured on UNL Today on 04/05/2015 [UNL press].
Also featured on SLAC on 04/05/2015 [SLAC News Feature].
- M. Centurion
"Ultrafast imaging of isolated molecules with electron diffraction (Topical Review)"
Journal of Physics B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 49, 062002 (2016).
- M. Centurion
"Sub-picosecond imaging of short-lived molecular structures" [PDF]
SPIE Newsroom (2015).
- J. Yang, J. Beck, C. J. Uiterwaal, M. Centurion
"Imaging of alignment and structural changes of carbon disulfide molecules using ultrafast electron diffraction"
Nature Communications 6, 8172 (2015). [UNL News Article]
- J. Yang, M. Centurion
"Gas-phase electron diffraction from laser-aligned molecules (Review Article)"
Structural Chemistry (2015), doi: 10.1007/s11224-015-0650-4.
- S. P. Weathersby, G. Brown, M. Centurion, T. F. Chase, R. Coffee, J. Corbett, J. P. Eichner, J. C. Frisch, A. R. Fry, M. Gühr, N. Hartmann, C. Hast, R. Hettel, R. K. Jobe, E. N. Jongewaard, J. R. Lewandowski, R. K. Li, A. M. Lindenberg, I. Makasyuk, J. E. May, D. McCormick, M. N. Nguyen, A. H. Reid, X. Shen, K. Sokolowski- Tinten, T. Vecchione, S. L. Vetter, J. Wu, J. Yang, H. A. Dürr, and X. J. Wang
"Mega-electron-volt ultrafast electron diffraction at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory"
Review of Scientific Instruments 86, 073702 (2015).
- M. Centurion
"Viewpoint: Making a Molecular Movie with X Rays"
- Ping Zhang, Jie Yang and Martin Centurion
"Tilted femtosecond pulses for velocity matching in gas-phase ultrafast electron diffraction"
New Journal of Physics, 16 083008 (2014).
- Jie Yang, Varun Makhija, Vinod Kumarappan and Martin Centurion
"Reconstruction of three-dimensional molecular structure from diffraction of laser-aligned molecules"
Structural Dynamics 1, 044101 (2014).
- Christopher J. Hensley, Jie Yang, and Martin Centurion.
"Imaging of Isolated Molecules with Ultrafast Electron Pulses"
Physical Review Letters 109, 133202 (2012).
Featured in APS Physical Review Focus on 9/28/2012 [Focus story].
Also appeared as a story on UNL Today on 10/04/2012 [UNL press release].
- Peter Hansen, Cory Baumgarten, Herman Batelaan, Martin Centurion
"Dispersion Compensation for Attosecond Electron Pulses"
Applied Physics Letters 101, 083501 (2012)
Awards and Honors
- DOE Office of Science Early Career Award (2010-2015)
- Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (2006-2008)
- Center for the Physics of Information Postdoctoral Fellowship, California Institute of Technology (2005)
- William L. Williams Award for Best Undergraduate Thesis in Physics, University of Michigan (2000)
- Graduated with Highest Distinction and High Honors in Physics, University of Michigan (2000)
- Ralph B. Bodine Scholarship, awarded biennially to a Physics sophomore for academic excellence, University of Michigan (1998)