Bai Cui, Assistant Professor
Mechanical & Materials Engineering
W331 Nebraska Hall
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68588-0526
Dr. Cui leads the Materials for Materials for Extreme Environments (ME2) lab at UNL. His lab develops advanced metal and ceramic materials for harsh environments in nuclear, aeronautic or petroleum applications. He uses in-situ TEM, electron tomography and focused ion beam (FIB) techniques to investigate the microstructure-property relationship of materials in harsh environments of high temperature, corrosive gas and liquid, irradiation and stress. His research areas include:
- Materials for extreme environments: oxide-dispersion-strengthened (ODS) steels, MAX phases, metal/ceramic composites
- Corrosion: stress corrosion cracking, high-temperature oxidation
- Irradiation damage: irradiation defects, irradiation-assisted stress corrosion cracking
- Processing: laser shock peening, spark plasma sintering
- Electron microscopy: in-situ TEM, FIB, electron tomography
- M McMurtrey, B Cui, IM Robertson, D Farkas, GS Was. Mechanism of dislocation channel-induced irradiation assisted stress corrosion cracking in austenitic stainless steel. Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science, 2015, 19 (5), 305–314.
- J Kacher, B Cui, IM Robertson. In situ and tomographic characterization of damage and dislocation processes in irradiated metallic alloys by transmission electron microscopy. Journal of Materials Research, 2015, 30(9), 1202-1213.
- B Cui, M McMurtrey, GS Was, IM Robertson. Micromechanistic origin of irradiation-assisted stress corrosion cracking. Philosophical Magazine, 2014, 94, 4197-4218.
- B Cui, J Kacher, M McMurtrey, GS Was, IM Robertson. Influence of irradiation damage on slip transfer across grain boundaries. Acta Materialia, 2014, 65, 150-160.
- B Cui, E Zapata-Solvasa, MJ Reece, C Wang, WE Lee. Microstructure and high-temperature oxidation behaviour of Ti3AlC2/W composites. Journal of American Ceramic Society, 2013, 96, 584-591.
- B Cui, R Sa, DD Jayaseelan, F Inam, MJ Reece, WE Lee. Microstructural evolution during high-temperature oxidation of spark plasma sintered Ti2AlN ceramics. Acta Materialia, 2012, 60, 1079-1092.
- B Cui, DD Jayaseelan, WE Lee. TEM study of the early stages of Ti2AlC oxidation at 900 ˚C. Scripta Materialia, 2012, 67, 830-833.
- B Cui, DD Jayaseelan, WE Lee. Microstructural evolution during high-temperature oxidation of Ti2AlC ceramics. Acta Materialia, 2011, 59, 4116-4125.
Recent Postdoctoral and Researchers, Graduates
Qiaofeng Lu (M.S.), Fei Wang (Ph.D.), Ziyad Smoqi (M.S.), Ting Lou (M.S.), Ye Lin (Ph.D.)