W312 Nebraska Hall
Mechanical and Materials
Lincoln, NE 68588
- Ph.D. in Physics, University of Strasbourg (Louis Pasteur)
- M.S. in Condensed and Soft Matter Physics, University of Upper Alsace
- Quantum sensing: nanoscale magnetic, current, and temperature mapping of condensed matter phenomena; far-field imaging of single transition metal nanoparticles (size < 20 nm)
- Defect discovery and spectroscopy in two dimensional materials and wide bandgap semiconductors: studying the spin and optical properties of the defects, developing new quantum devices based on their performances
- Quantum computing: exploring magnetic, optical, and mechanical cavities for coupling distant spin-qubits for scalable quantum networks
- Hybrid photonics based on coupling single color centers to metamaterials for optical networks
C.A. Meriles, D. Pagliero, A. Laraoui, “Method for hyper-polarizing nuclear spins at arbitrary magnetic fields“, US Patent App. 14/961,974.
Honors and Awards
- New York Academy of Sciences’ Blavatnik Award (nominated) for best postdoctoral research work on quantum sensing, New York, NY (2013)
- CUNY Postdoctoral Travel Award, CCNY, New York, NY (2012)
- Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship, Kaiserslautern, Germany (2007-2009)
- French Optical Society Award to attend Spintronics Summer School, Cargese, France (2005)
- J. Smits, J. Damron, P. Kehayias, N. Mosavian, I. Fescenko, A. McDowell, A. Laraoui, A. Jarmola, V. M. Acosta. “Sub-Hertz two dimensional NMR spectroscopy of molecules using Nitrogen Vacancy centers in diamond,” Science Advances 5 eaaw7895 (2019).
- P. Kehayias, A. Jarmola, N. Mosavian, I. Fescenko, F. M. Benito, A. Laraoui, J. Smits, L. Bougas, D. Budker, A. Neumann, S. R. J. Brueck, V. M. Acosta. “Solution nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy on a nanostructured diamond chip,” Nature Communications 8, 108 (2017).
- H. Jayakumar, J. Henshaw, S. Dhomkar, D. Pagliero, A. Laraoui, N. Manson, R. Albu, M. W. Doherty, C. A. Meriles. “Optical patterning of trapped charge in nitrogen-doped diamond,” Nature Communications 7, 12660 (2016).
- A. Laraoui, H. Aycock-Rizzo, X. Lu, Y. Gao, E. Riedo, C.A. Meriles. “Imaging thermal conductivity with nanoscale resolution using a scanning spin probe,” Nature Communications 6, 8954 (2015).
- M. E. Trusheim, L. Li, A. Laraoui, E.H. Chen, O. Gaathon, H. Bakhru, T. Schroeder, C.A. Meriles, D. Englund. “Scalable Fabrication of High Purity Diamond Nanocrystals with Long-Spin-Coherence Nitrogen Vacancy Centers,” Nano Letters, 14 (1), 32-36 (2014).
- A. Laraoui, C. A. Meriles. “Approach to dark spin cooling in a diamond nanocrystal,” ACS Nano 7, 3403 (2013), arXiv:1703.03988.
- A. Laraoui, F. Dolde, C. Burk, F. Reinhard, J. Wrachtrup, C. A. Meriles. “High-Resolution Correlation Spectroscopy of 13C Spins Near a Nitrogen-Vacancy Center in Diamond,” Nature Communications 4, 1651 (2013).
- A. Laraoui, J. S. Hodges, C. A. Meriles. “Nitrogen-Vacancy-assisted magnetometry of paramagnetic centers in an individual diamond nanocrystal,” Nano Letters 12 (7), 3477–348 (2012).
- A. Laraoui, J. S. Hodges, C. A. Meriles. “Magnetometry of random ac magnetic fields using a single nitrogen-vacancy center in diamond,” Applied Physics Letters 97, 143104 (2010). Selected for publication in the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology 22, 16 (October 2010).
- H. Schultheiss, X. Janssens, M. van Kampen, F. Ciubotaru, S. J. Hermsdoerfer, B. Obry, A. Laraoui, A. A. Serga, L. Lagae, A. N. Slavin, B. Leven, and B. Hillebrands. “Direct Current Control of Three Magnon Scattering Processes in Spin-Valve Nanocontacts,” Physical Review Letters 103, 157202 (2009). Selected for publication in the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology 20, 16 (October 2009).
- A. Laraoui, M. Albrecht, J.-Y. Bigot. “Femtosecond Magneto-optical Kerr Microscopy,” Optics Letters 32, 936 (2007). Selected for publication in the Virtual Journal of Ultrafast Science 6, 4 (April 2007).
- L. H. F. Andrade, A. Laraoui, M. Vomir, D. Muller, J.-P. Stoquert, C. Estournès, E. Beaurepaire, J.-Y. Bigot. “Damped Precession of the Magnetization Vector of Superparamagnetic Nanoparticles Excited by Femtosecond Optical Pulses,” Physical Review Letters 97, 127401 (2006). The Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology 5, 10 (October 2006).