Eli Sutter, Professor
Transmission electron microscopy,
2-dimensional materials, nanostructures
- Ph.D., Condensed Matter Physics, Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”, Sofia, Bulgaria
- M.S., Condensed Matter Physics, Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”, Sofia, Bulgaria
- In-situ, variable temperature transmission electron microscopy (TEM) studies of properties of nanoscale objects – alloy phase diagrams, solute solubility, phase transformations: melting and crystallization, oxidation, solid state reactions such as silicidation.
- Real-time TEM observations of processes in liquid environments: assembly of nanoparticles in colloids and solutions, growth processes – formation of core-shell nanoparticles & complex nanostructures, galvanic replacement reactions, protein self-assemblies, etc.
- Mechanisms of epitaxial growth and nanostructure formation. Self-assembly, self-organization of nanowires, core-shell semiconductor-graphene and metal-graphene nanoparticles and nanowires, nanostructured materials.
- 2-D materials: graphene, h-BN, metal dichalcogenides, heterostructures: epitaxy on transition metals, growth mechanism, band structure, transport properties.
- “Assembly of Ordered Carbon Shells on Semiconducting Nanomaterials”, U.S. Patent No. 7,714,317 [issued May 11, 2010].
- “Apparatus for Dispensing Material”, U.S. Patent No. 7,972,560 [issued July 5, 2011].
- “Segmented Nanowires Displaying Locally Controllable Properties”, U.S. Patent No. 8,389,387 [issued March 5, 2013].
- “Assembly of Ordered Carbon Shells on Semiconducting Nanomaterials”, S.N. 12/658.810, U.S. Patent No. 8,278,124 B2 [issued October 2, 2012].
- “Processing of Monolayer Materials via Interfacial Reactions”, No. 8728433 [issued May 20, 2014].
- “Stable and Metastable Nanowires Displaying Locally Controllable Properties”, No. 8890115 [issued November 18, 2014].
- “Monolayer and/or Few Layer Graphene on Metal or Metal-Coated Substrates”, No. 9006644 [issued April 14, 2015].
Honors and Awards
- 2015 – Battelle Inventor of the Year Award
- 2015 – Long Island Technology Hall of Fame: Patent of the Year, Category: Innovation in Industry
- 2013 – Guest Professor (1 month, November 2013): Sorbonne/Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
- 2011 – Editor’s choice in Science: Ian S. Osborne, “Reflecting Atoms off Graphene” Science 16 December 2011: 1473-1475
- 2011 – Sapphire Prize, Springer and Journal of Materials Science
- 2011 – Invited Talk at the Symposium in Honor of 100th Anniversary of Marie Curie's Nobel Prize for International Year of Chemistry, organized by Division of Physical Chemistry, at the 242 American Chemical Society Meeting
- 2010 – Thompson Reuters feature – Highly Cited Paper on Epitaxial Graphene
- 2007 – Scientific American 50 Award for leading Contributions to Science and Technology
- 2004 – American Physical Society Top Physics Discoveries of the Year
- 1995 – Swiss Federal Postdoctoral Fellowship
PublicationsExtended Publications List
- E. Sutter and P. Sutter, “Determination of redox reaction rates and orders by in-situ liquid cell electron microscopy of Pd and Au solution growth”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 136, 16865 (2014).
- Y. Huang, E. Sutter, J. T. Sadowski, M. Cotlet, O. Monti, M. Neupane, R. Lake, B. Parkinson, and P. Sutter, “SnS2 – An emerging layered metal dichalcogenide semiconductor: Materials properties and device applications”, ACS Nano 8, 10743 (2014).
- E. Sutter, K. Jungjohann, S. Bliznakov, A. Courty, E. Maisonhaute, and P. Sutter, “In-situ Liquid Cell Electron Microscopy of Ag-Pd Galvanic Replacement Reactions on Ag Nanoparticles”, Nature Commun. 5, 4946 (2014).
- L. Camilli, E.Sutter, and P. Sutter, “Growth of two-dimensional materials on non-catalytic substrates: h-BN/Au(111)”, 2D Materials 1, 025003 (2014).
- P. Sutter, Y. Huang, and E. Sutter, “Nanoscale Integration of Two-Dimensional Materials by Lateral Heteroepitaxy”, Nano Letters 14, 4846 (2014).
- P. Sutter, and E. Sutter, “Thickness Determination of Few-layer Hexagonal Boron Nitride Films by Scanning Electron Microscopy and Auger Electron Spectroscopy”, APL Materials 2, 092502 (2014).
- E. Sutter, F. Ivars-Barcelo, and P. Sutter, “Size-Dependent Room Temperature Oxidation of Sn Nanoparticles”, Particle and Particle Systems Characterization 8, 879 (2014).
- A. Haab, M. Mikulics, E. Sutter, J. Jin, T. Stoica, B. Kardynal, T. Rieger, D. Gruetzmacher, and H. Hardtdegen, “Evolution and Characteristics of GaN Nanowires Produced via Maskless Reactive Ion Etching”, Nanotechnology 25, 255301 (2014).
- R. Cortés, D. P. Acharya, E. Sutter, and P. Sutter, “Graphene on Ru(0001) Moiré Corrugation and Role of van der Waals Interaction in Au/graphene/Ru (0001) surfaces”, J. Phys. Chem. C 117, 20675 (2013).
- E. Koren, E. Sutter, S. Bliznakov, and P. Sutter, “Isolation of High Quality Graphene from Ru by Solution Phase Intercalation”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 121602 (2013).
- K. L. Jungjohann, S. Bliznakov, P. W. Sutter, E. A. Stach, and E. A. Sutter, “In-Situ Liquid Cell Electron Microscopy of the Solution Growth of Au-Pd Core Shell Nanostructures”, Nano Lett. 13, 2964 (2013).