Peter Sutter, Professor
2D materials, nanomaterials, energy conversion & energy efficiency, advanced methods development
- Ph.D., Solid-State Physics, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich, Switzerland.
- M.S., Physics, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich, Switzerland
Areas of Research and Professional Interests
- 2D Materials: Graphene, hexagonal boron nitride, metal dichalcogenides, heterostructures: fundamental growth mechanisms, scalable synthesis; physical & chemical properties, defect chemistry & functionalization; electronic structure, optoelectronic properties, charge transport; devices for electronics, energy applications, sensing.
- Nanomaterials: Semiconductor nanowires & nanowire heterostructures; nanoscale heterostructures (in-plane structures & vertical stacks) of 2D materials; hierarchical metamaterials architectures assembled from atomically precise components.
- Energy conversion & energy efficiency: Energy harvesting & photovoltaics, greenhouse gas capture.
- Advanced methods development: In-situ and microscopy & spectroscopy, low-energy & photoelectron microscopy, scanning probe microscopy & spectroscopy, closed-cell approaches for microscopy & spectroscopy at elevated gas pressures and in liquids.
- “Assembly of Ordered Carbon Shells on Semiconducting Nanomaterials”, U.S. Patent No. 7,714,317 (issued May 11, 2010).
- “Apparatus for Dispensing Material”, U.S. Patent No. 7,972,560 (issued July 5, 2011).
- “Segmented Nanowires Displaying Locally Controllable Properties”, U.S. Patent No. 8,389,387 (issued March 5, 2013).
- “Assembly of Ordered Carbon Shells on Semiconducting Nanomaterials”, U.S. Patent No. 8,278,124 B2 (issued October 2, 2012).
- “Processing of Monolayer Materials via Interfacial Reactions”, U.S. Patent No. 8728433 (issued May 20, 2014).
- “Stable and Metastable Nanowires Displaying Locally Controllable Properties”, U.S. Patent No. 8890115 (issued November 18, 2014).
- “Monolayer and/or Few Layer Graphene on Metal or Metal-Coated Substrates”, U.S. Patent No. 9006644 (issued April 14, 2015).
Honors and Awards
- 2015 – Battelle Inventor of the Year Award
- 2015 – Long Island Technology Hall of Fame - Patent of the Year
- 2014 – General Chair, International Conference on Nanoscience + Technology 2014
- 2013 – Executive Committee Member, Surface Science Division of the American Vacuum Society
- 2011 – Science Editor’s Choice: “Reflecting Atoms off Graphene”
- 2011 – Sapphire Prize, Journal of Materials Research/Springer
- 2010 – Thomson Reuters - Highly Cited Paper on Epitaxial Graphene
- 2007 – Scientific American 50 Award for Leading Contributions to Science and Technology
- 2004 – American Physical Society Top Physics Discoveries of the Year
- 2000 – US National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- 1999 – Research Corporation Research Innovation Award
- 1997 – Swiss National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 1995 – European Materials Society Young Scientist Award
- T.H. Vo, U.G.E. Perera, M. Shekhirev, M. Mehdi Pour, D.A. Kunkel, H. Lu, A. Gruverman, E. Sutter, M. Cotlet, D. Nykypanchuk, P. Zahl, A. Enders, A. Sinitskii, and P. Sutter, “Nitrogen-Doping Induced Self-Assembly of Graphene Nanoribbon-Based 2D and 3D Metamaterials”, Nano Letters DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b01723 (2015).
- A. Rahman, A. Ashraf, H. Xin, X. Tong, P. Sutter, M.D. Eisaman, and C.T. Black, “Sub-50 Nanometer Self-Assembled Nanotextures for Enhanced Broadband Antireflection in Silicon Solar Cells”, Nature Communications 6, 5963 (2015).
- H. Qin, X. Chen, P. Sutter, and G. Zhou, “Oxidation-driven surface dynamics on NiAl(100)”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112, E103 (2015).
- P. Sutter, Y. Huang, and E. Sutter, “Nanoscale Integration of Two-Dimensional Materials by Lateral Heteroepitaxy”, Nano Letters 14, 4846 (2014).
- Y. Huang, E. Sutter, J.T. Sadowski, M. Cotlet, O.L.A. Monti, D.A. Racke, M.R. Neupane, D. Wickramaratne, R.K. Lake, B.A. Parkinson, and P. Sutter, “Tin Disulfide – An Emerging Layered Metal Dichalcogenide Semiconductor: Materials Properties and Device Characteristics”, ACS Nano 8, 10743 (2014).
- E. Sutter, K. Jungjohann, S. Bliznakov, A. Courty, E. Maisonhaute, and P. Sutter, “In-situ Liquid Cell Electron Microscopy of Ag-Pd Galvanic Replacement Reactions on Ag Nanoparticles”, Nature Communications 5, 4946 (2014).
- P. Sutter, and E. Sutter, “Thickness Determination of Few-layer Hexagonal Boron Nitride Films by Scanning Electron Microscopy and Auger Electron Spectroscopy”, APL Materials 2, 092502 (2014).
- E. Koren, S. Bliznakov, E. Sutter, and P. Sutter, “Isolation of High Quality Graphene from Ru by Solution Phase Intercalation”, Applied Physics Letters 103, 121602 (2013).
- E. Sutter, X. Tong, K. Jungjohann, and P. Sutter, “Oxidation of Nanoscale Au–In Alloy Particles as a Possible Route Toward Stable Au-based Catalysts”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110, 10519 (2013).
- P. Sutter and E. Sutter, “Microscopy of Graphene Growth, Processing, and Properties”, Advanced Functional Materials 23, 2617 (2013).
- P. Sutter, J. Lahiri, P. Zahl, B. Wang, and E. Sutter, “Scalable Synthesis of Uniform Few-Layer Hexagonal Boron Nitride Dielectric Films”, Nano Letters 13, 276 (2013).
- P. Sutter, R. Cortes, J. Lahiri, and E. Sutter, “Interface Formation in Monolayer Graphene-Boron Nitride Heterostructures”, Nano Letters 12, 4869 (2012).
- P. Sutter, J. Lahiri, P. Albrecht, and E. Sutter, “Chemical Vapor Deposition and Etching of High-Quality Monolayer Hexagonal Boron Nitride Films”, ACS Nano 5, 7303 (2011).
- P. Sutter, J. Sadowski, and E. Sutter, “Chemistry under Cover – Tuning metal-graphene interaction by reactive intercalation”, Journal of the American Chemical Society 132, 8179 (2010).
- P. Sutter, M.S. Hybertsen, J.T. Sadowski, and E. Sutter, “Electronic structure of few-layer epitaxial graphene on Ru(0001)”, Nano Letters 9, 2654 (2009).
- P. Sutter, J.I. Flege, and E. Sutter, “Epitaxial Graphene on Ruthenium”, Nature Materials 7, 406 (2008).