- Ph.D. Russian Academy of Sciences, 1988
- Spin-dependent transport
- Magnetoresistive phenomena
- Nanoscale magnetism
- Complex oxide heterostructures
- Interface magnetoelectric phenomena
- Two-dimensional electron gases
- Ferroelectric tunnel junctions
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the American Physical Society
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics, UK
- Recipient of UNL's Outstanding Research and Creative Activity Award (ORCA)
Selected Invited Papers, Review Articles and Book Chapters
- E. Y. Tsymbal, Perspective: “Two-dimensional
ferroelectricity by design,” Science 372, 1389-1390 (2021).
- T. Nan, D. C. Ralph, E. Y. Tsymbal, and A. Manchon, Editorial: “Emerging materials for
spin-charge interconversion,” APL Materials 9, 120401 (2021).
- A. Chouprik, D. Negrov, E. Y. Tsymbal, and A. Zenkevich, Invited Review: “Defects in
ferroelectric HfO2,” Nanoscale 13, 11635–11678 (2021).
- R. Streubel, E. Y. Tsymbal, and P. Fischer, Perspective: “Magnetism
in curved geometries,” Journal of Applied Physics 129, 210902 (2021).
- L. L. Tao and Evgeny Y. Tsymbal, Topical Review: “Perspectives
of spin-textured ferroelectrics,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 54, 113001
- E. Y. Tsymbal and C. Panagopoulos, News and Views: “Skyrmions: Whirling spins
with a ferroelectric,” Nature Materials 17, 1054-1055 (2018).
- E. Y. Tsymbal and J. P. Velev, News and Views: “Ferroelectric tunnel junctions:
Crossing the wall,” Nature Nanotechnology 12, 614 – 615 (2017).
- J. P. Velev, J. D. Burton, M. Y. Zhuravlev, and E. Y. Tsymbal, “Predictive modelling of
ferroelectric tunnel junctions,” npj Computational Materials 2, 16009 (2016).
- E. Y. Tsymbal and P. A. Dowben, “Grand
challenges in condensed matter physics: From knowledge to innovation,” Frontiers in
Condensed Matter Physics 1:32, doi: 10.3389/fphy.2013.00032 (2013).
- E. Y. Tsymbal and A. Gruverman, News and Views: “Ferroelectric tunnel junctions:
Beyond the barrier,” Nature Materials 12, 602 – 604 (2013).
- E. Y. Tsymbal, News and Views: “Spintronics: Electric toggling of magnets,” Nature Materials 11, 12
– 13 (2012).
- E. Y. Tsymbal, A. Gruverman, V. Garcia, M. Bibes, and A. Barthélémy, "Ferroelectric and Multiferroic Tunnel Junctions," MRS Bulletin 37,
- J. P. Velev, S. S. Jaswal, and E. Y. Tsymbal, "Multiferroic and magnetoelectric materials and interfaces,"
Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A 369, 3069-3097 (2011).
- J. P. Velev, P. A. Dowben, E. Y. Tsymbal, S. J. Jenkins, and A. N. Caruso, "Interface effects in spin-polarized metal/insulator layered structures,"
Surface Science Reports 63, 400-425 (2008).
- C.-G. Duan, R. F. Sabiryanov, W. N. Mei, P. A. Dowben, S. S. Jaswal, and E. Y. Tsymbal,
"Electronic, magnetic and transport properties of rare earth monopnictides," J.
Physics: Condensed Matter 19, 315220 (2007).
- E. Y. Tsymbal, K. D. Belashchenko, J. Velev, S. S. Jaswal, M. van Schilfgaarde, I. I.
Oleynik, and D. A. Stewart, "Interface effects in spin-dependent tunneling," Progress in Materials
Science 52, 401-420 (2007).